CNAGF: Certainly Not A Gamer Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts on Salamence being uber?

+3
MatthewJonSteel
Feliciano
Don Fawful
7 posters

Go down

Your thoughts on Salamence being uber? Empty Your thoughts on Salamence being uber?

Post  Don Fawful Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:10 pm

So guys Smogon decided recently after a lot of testing that Salamence is now an uber and cannot be used in the lower tiers anymore. What kind of shifts will this bring to the smogonbased metagame? And what are your thoughts on it?

Personally I dont give a rats bum about what Smogon does because i'll just use the pokemon I like but I see this being a very bad move. What will happen is that after Salamence some other very strong metagame pokemon in OU will be deemed too powerfull and will also be banned to ubers. This will lead to a gigantic string of bans that will eventually lead to a very sad and pathetic OU metagame. (That is if you play according to Smogon rules)

So what are your thoughts?
Don Fawful
Don Fawful
Big Boss
Big Boss

https://cnagf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on Salamence being uber? Empty Re: Your thoughts on Salamence being uber?

Post  Feliciano Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:32 am

Psh. I'm glad it's gone. Maybe now people will actually be creative in building their teams, instead of just sloppily slapping a Salamence in there to patch any holes and call it a day. Also, people who didn't use Salamence before now don't have to waste a valuable spot on their team specifically for a counter to it. Not to mention Dragonite and Flygon might actually see the light of day again. Though I imagine that people will try and copy-paste their Salamence sets onto Dragonite, then get even more butthurt when they find out that it doesn't work.
Feliciano
Feliciano

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on Salamence being uber? Empty Re: Your thoughts on Salamence being uber?

Post  Don Fawful Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 am

I always preferred Flygon over Salamence mainly because it isnt 2x weak to rock. But yeah it does bring some variety into the metagame that has become rather stale. Scizor will still dominate the charts but I guess smogon isnt going to change that pokemon around anytime soon.

Dragonite is more bulky then the other dragons anyway so yeah you need a completely different approach for him to work.
Don Fawful
Don Fawful
Big Boss
Big Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  Feliciano Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 am

Don Fawful wrote:Dragonite is more bulky then the other dragons anyway so yeah you need a completely different approach for him to work.

Dragonite is just all-around more versatile, I find. It's got the bulk to actually take a hit (even a Super Effective or X4 SE one), a very useful ability for an anti-lead, Extremespeed, and a great movepool. It can even act as a cleric in a pinch. With Salamence, it's just going to attack. There's no suspense about what kind of role it plays.

Actually, I see a lot of people theorizing that Scizor's usage will go DOWN with the loss of Salamence, mainly because it seems Scizor was mainly used specifically as a counter to Salamence. I see Jirachi's use being theorized as going down a lot, too. The main pokemon I see rising up to fill the void are Dragonite, Flygon, Heatran, and Breloom (of all things).
Feliciano
Feliciano

Back to top Go down

Post  MatthewJonSteel Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:21 pm

salamence was one of the only perfect wall breakers left...
the metagame will now be dominated with stall (skarmbliss) and the ape/starmie/jolteon combo which will just be pain...
plus to everyone who thought sala was uncounterable...banded mamo with ice shard...GG.
i like the fact that dragonite will get to see some action again but flygon is kinda kinda fail...altaria is better than it imo
if they hadnt banned latios all that time ago none of this would have happened...
then again that thing was broken beyond belief...
MatthewJonSteel
MatthewJonSteel

https://www.youtube.com/user/MatthewJonSteel

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Fawful Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Flygon is a far better pokemon statwise compared to altaria just saying. It also has a better typing when it comes to stealth rocks.

I always used my Mence as a mixed sweeper not a wallbreaker but that might just be me. Meh whatever I'll keep using mence on PBR anyway nobody follows smogon rules there at all unless they are japanese trainers. By the way do japanese trainers follow their own rule? Is there a japanese ''smogon'' of sorts?
Don Fawful
Don Fawful
Big Boss
Big Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  MatthewJonSteel Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm

tbh thats why i dont like pbr its unregulated on what you use
and smogon is the general standard for any english speaker..i not got the foggiest bout those silly japs
MatthewJonSteel
MatthewJonSteel

https://www.youtube.com/user/MatthewJonSteel

Back to top Go down

Post  RedFoxNinetales Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Oh wow, first Garchomp, now Salamence? This just adds another reason to why I don't listen to the stupidity that is Smogon, regardless of how rare it is I actually use Salamence. (I have one on my Rain Dance team and one on my Mono-Dragon Pass on PBR; that's it)

To be fairly honest though, I don't think it will change much of anything. We'll still see Skarmory and Blissey dominating the defensive roles and Scizor being abused for its Bullet Punching with Technician.

Actually, thinking on it, I'm surprised Blissey hasn't been moved into Ubers with that gargantuan HP/Sp.Def combo. I guess they haven't moved it because then their 'beloved community' would be up in arms about it, pulling off a strike that no one cares about, or something. Maybe some (OU-abusive) people would actually, oh... I don't know... have some variety, if it was moved up there?
Just sayin'.

@ Don Fawful: I don't think so. I'd assume you could say that to the Japanese, 'Ubers' are classified by what Pokemon aren't allowed in the Battle Tower/Frontier. You know. At a huge guess.
RedFoxNinetales
RedFoxNinetales

https://www.youtube.com/user/RenegadeFox

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Fawful Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:19 am

I have yet to see skarmory in any OUT match I have had so far. Mixape takes care of both blissey and skarmory anyway. Meh just play with whatever you want nobody should judge you.
Don Fawful
Don Fawful
Big Boss
Big Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  Feliciano Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 am

I don't know about Japanese players. I ran into a Japanese guy on PBR just now who still used a Salamence. Scarfed, but a 'Mence nonetheless. Couple that with the fact that he actually took the time to put a full team of bred, ev trained pokemon together instead of just a couple of them and some extras like me, and, well, gg. But man, it managed to OHKO my Lucario with Draco Meteor even after it had already used it twice before. I know Lucario's not the bulkiest thing out there, but still...shows just how much of a beast Salamence is.
Feliciano
Feliciano

Back to top Go down

Post  FenixFire Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:56 am

It'll be intresting to see how the metagame will fare with Salamence gone for a bit. He was a potent threat, boasting a broad movepool and great stats all around. I'm pretty sure it'll get bumped back to OU when generation 5 hits the scene though, so I wouldn't be too worried about it all.
FenixFire
FenixFire

Back to top Go down

Post  RedFoxNinetales Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 pm

FenixFire wrote:It'll be intresting to see how the metagame will fare with Salamence gone for a bit. He was a potent threat, boasting a broad movepool and great stats all around. I'm pretty sure it'll get bumped back to OU when generation 5 hits the scene though, so I wouldn't be too worried about it all.

The thing is, I wouldn't have issue with their decision if they gave a legitimate reason for why it was put there. But when you look at their page for Salamence:

Rayquaza's Dance Partner
As a Dragon Dancer, Salamence is normally outclassed by Rayquaza. However, when used alongside Rayquaza, Dragon Dance Salamence can be a powerful asset in the Uber metagame.

Yeah... so? That's like saying Kingdra is a powerful asset in Ubers alongside Kyogre, because once the rain is going, Swift Swim will almost always allow you to outspeed your opponents' Pokemon and a well-timed Draco Meteor will likely either KO or severely damage Palkia.
"Oh noes! Kingdra should be Uber, too!!"

Rayquaza's Wall Breaking Partner
Unlike the last set, this set puts Salamence in the role of helping Rayquaza sweep.

Something that Blissey could do with its Special Defense and absolutely ridiculous HP stats-- it also doesn't take 4x damage from Ice-type attacks, can learn Thunder Wave and can be assisted itself by Lugia or Defense forme Deoxys, who can take the physical attacks nicely.

All their real reasoning for putting Salamence in Ubers, as far as the page shows, is to be Rayquaza's lap dog and do all the things he doesn't want to do. This is about as ridiculous as them putting Garchomp in Ubers, which I believe their initial reasoning was "its too powerful for OU". (but don't quote me on that)
RedFoxNinetales
RedFoxNinetales

https://www.youtube.com/user/RenegadeFox

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmo Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 pm

It will definately change the way a lot of people play, but what I think will change it more would be the addition of 5th generation pokemon. People would need to construct completely different teams to combat the new guys. I can forsee the overuse of the new dragon-type.
jimmo
jimmo
Kind of a Big Deal
Kind of a Big Deal

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on Salamence being uber? Empty salamence

Post  BurningWhiteWolf121 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 am

with that crocodile thing and the tusk dragon thing im sure will fill the gap left by sala
BurningWhiteWolf121
BurningWhiteWolf121
People Know Me
People Know Me

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down